This is gonna be a blog about financial faithfulness. Why? Because God is telling me to document all this stuff for Him. And who'm I to argue?
My husband and I are involved in a Sunday School class at Dayspring Baptist Church here in Mobile. It's run by a husband and wife team of teachers, John and Lori, whom we love dearly. Each week in class, they strive to set up "billboards" in our brains reminding us of what we've talked about as the week goes on. Now, as much as John loves that sex comes up in some way, shape, or form each week (we're all married, we're allowed!)... Most of our lessons center around faithfulness. Of course to our spouses, but also to God. Particularly with our time and finances. Eek.
Now, I don't know about your family, but... We pretty much live paycheck to paycheck. I say pretty much because sometimes... We don't quite make it and have to show up at my Mama's door for dinner. I think a few weeks ago, I probably would have chosen death over admitting that to anyone. Now... Things are different.
As I mentioned in previous posts, I worked part time as a competitive gymnastics coach up until super recently. I used to own my own Christian-based program here, but when my daughter was born, I backed off of the full work weeks to spend more time with her. When I chose to back off, I had to sell out my equity in the gym. New owners, with new ideas, bought the place and I was let go. Granted, I was pretty irked, but my perfect little 2 month old glossed all of that over. So, I went from a salary to... Yeah. Nothing. And we managed. And I decided I was DONE with gymnastics.
Of course, less than 3 months later, I hit up a gym owner in the area for a position with her gym. What can I say? I love to coach. Also... My ego had taken a battering and I believe that God wanted me to go out of the sport knowing I had done well. So, I coached for this gym and, again... My kids did really well. I felt vindicated.
Now, maybe, you're asking yourself, "Hmmm. She said herself that there isn't enough money to make it through the month sometimes... Why on earth isn't she working?" Well, I'll tell you. I feel being with my daughter while she's young is more important. Not everyone sees an issue with daycare or whatever, but I just don't feel it's the best decision for MY family.
Of course, gym hours are great if you want to be a SAHM. I worked 3 days a week from 4 - 7:30. I got to spend the VAST majority of my time with my little one. It was great... Only... Who was getting neglected in the process?
Hmmmm.
Think, think, think.
Oh yeah! Remember that wonderful guy I'm married to? Yeah... I kinda forgot about him, too. Oops. :( I was getting home from the gym around 8:45 most nights... THEN, I'd get around to cooking and, on occasion, I might even clean a little. No, not often. I'm not very domestic, naturally. PSA : Always call before coming to our place, unless you don't mind sitting on the floor or sharing the couch with a pile of laundry. :)
Yeah. Those little niggling thoughts of "Melissa! You should be there for YOUR FAMILY. Not in the gym!" were still there, but I'm darn good at ignoring things I don't feel like dealing with. And it wasn't that I was telling God no. It wasn't! I was just avoiding the decision.
I confess I've had some issues with depression and by this point in our back story... I'm pregnant with our second kiddo (who is due in a couple of months. Woo hoo!). I can't have my lovely Paxil and I'm terrified I'm going to quit based on a decision made out of depression rather than out of what God actually wants me to do. I'll talk more about this later. The depression vs. God thing, I mean.
So yeah... (Wow I'm a rambler) Those billboards John and Lori set up in my brain... I'll be darned if they didn't work. Aaron and I chose last month to start tithing, NO MATTER WHAT. So, God threw us a whammy. Aaron works off of straight commission at his job (he's a plumber). Last month, he had the absolute worst month in his 3 year history with this company. Meaning... We didn't have ANYWHERE near enough money for house/car payments... Let alone silly things like electricity, groceries, gas, etc. But, we promised and I threw that tithe check in the plate anyway. (yes, for what it's worth, I twitched as it left my fingers)
And God provided. My mom (despite being broke herself) gave us the money to get us through the month. I say gave rather than loaned because when she offered I pointed out that no way in the world would we ever be able to pay her back. She said it was fine and handed over the wad of cash. Yeah, my mom is the one who God used as His vessel. And the woman will do anything for anyone... But, when it comes to money, it's just not something she has to share. So, the kudos go to our Creator.
That's step one in our journey into faith-based-living. We didn't have it, but God provided anyways. And I expect Him to continue because we're being faithful to His Word. Not saying I'm not a little scared... But, I AM saying that this Sunday, there'll be another check going into that offering plate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment